httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: [mod_proxy] Help offered
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 08:57:04 GMT
On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 07:22:44AM +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> wrote:
> >
> >Woah! Squid now has reverse proxy support?
>
> What do you mean "now"? It has had it for years. Demon's Homepages

Fine. I wasn't aware of it.

> >Feh. If that's so, then there is even more reason to move the proxy out of
> >the core and into a separate CVS repository for independent development. If
> >something is unmaintained *and* duplicates the functionality of other, free
> >software projects out there, then why should it be in the core?
>
> Squid is GPLed. Squid doesn't have SSL (afaik -- this may have changed
> recently). Squid's authentication support is comparatively limited.

All great reasons for an Apache one. How about volunteering? :-)

Just because there are failings in Squid doesn't mean ours is suddenly
better. Somebody has to put some elbow grease into it, and do so
consistently. Despite numerous attempts at this, nobody has yet done so. We
go to throw it out, and somebody appears for a week. Six months go by. We go
to toss it again, and somebody appears for two weeks this time.

We're not going to get a proxy that is competitive to Squid by continuing on
the current road. Our current arrangement is not ideal for proxy support, so
let's change it.

Move mod_proxy to its own CVS module. If somebody is actually going to spend
time working on it, then it certainly doesn't matter what CVS module it
happens to live within. The only difference is when we distribute our final
version of Apache. If mod_proxy is ready, then it can be bundled. If it
isn't ready, then it isn't bundled. Simple as that. Keeping it in will not
magically make it ready. Moving it out won't either. But moving it will
reduce the problems, fixing efforts, and the deception that Apache has proxy
support. Moving it out could also open the codebase to more developers (I am
suspicious of this because those developers aren't sending patches, so I
don't see that they'd be signing up as committers either).

Where are the negatives to moving it to its own CVS module?

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/