httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <bri...@kheldar.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: OS/2 Scoreboard changes
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 00:57:54 GMT
On Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:34:49 -0800 (PST), rbb@covalent.net wrote:

>The OS/2 scoreboard changes have broken every other platform.  I do not
>believe we should be re-defining the scoreboard based on platform.  If the
>MPM needs more information than the scoreboard currently provides, then
>the MPM will need to allocate space for that information itself.
>
>The problem that was introduced, is that the scoreboard.h file includes
>mpm.h, which includes scoreboard.h.  This causes the compile to break.

Ok, I didn't spot that, obviously it worked for me. I've just commited a
fix (I hope).

>I purposefully did not put an apr_os_thread_t into the scoreboard, because
>I couldn't see how it was useful to all MPMs.  The thread_num allows MPMs
>to associate a single integer with a specific thread id.

I need a tid for the same reason prefork needs a pid. If a thread
terminates the OS gives us its tid, we need to find which slot that
corresponds to somehow.

>The other OS/2 specific changes that were introduced into the scoreboard
>also scare me.  Why does OS/2 need to put the deferred_die, thread_retval,
>and generation into the scoreboard.  The deferred_die is specific to the
>MPM itself, and should be kept away from all other modules.  The same goes
>for the thread_retval and generation.  Those fields need to be removed
>from the scoreboard.

And put where? Are you saying I should create yet another global structure
to store them? They're there so that the parent thread can communicate with
the child threads.

>I am very much against the changes that went into the scoreboard.h file
>without a very good argument for why they are needed.

And you've yet to come up with an actual reason why they shouldn't.