httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe M . Chiasson" <go...@cpan.org>
Subject Re: [mod_proxy] Help offered
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 03:00:52 GMT
On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 06:25:25PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 04:13:31PM -0800, Sander van Zoest wrote:
> > Although it should considered, I think the power of an apache proxy server
> > would be the fact that it could do both of these tasks. I would consider
> > a proxy type of project to be more along the lines of what Dean Gaudet has
> > been refering to as an "http router". Everyone is doing this one way or
> > another and this is also part of squid now (with their accelerated support).
>
> Woah! Squid now has reverse proxy support?
>
> Feh. If that's so, then there is even more reason to move the proxy out of
> the core and into a separate CVS repository for independent development. If
> something is unmaintained *and* duplicates the functionality of other, free
> software projects out there, then why should it be in the core? I'm fine
> with competing open source projects, but we aren't competing with our proxy:
> we're just letting a bunch of code be subject to horrible bit rot and
> misleading people who think we have a proxy.
>
> > If some people add a reliable cache that talks HTCP and ICP and whatever they
> > feel is useful that would be a bonus. Having access via different languages to
> > the proxy/router stream can be very beneficial as well.
>
> All of that stuff is worthwhile, and would make great sense to develop
> within a separate CVS module with different sets of committers and
> interested parties. Tying the proxy releases in with the Apache core release
> will simply ensure that rapid development of a full-on proxy is going to be
> very painful.

100% agreed.  And with the new hook API, it means mod_proxy could be written in a very
modular way, making it trivial to extend it in many different ways.  Not something possible
with the current mod_proxy implementation.

And even if Squid is nice and feature rich, sometimes I just want an extra module in my
already running httpd, than have to deal with yet another server to manage.

Just my 0.02 $

> Cheers,
> -g
>
> --
> Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

| Philippe M. Chiasson  <gozer@cpan.org>        |
| SmartWorker http://www.smartworker.org        |
|     IM : gozerhbe  ICQ : gozer/18279998       |
|   64.8% computer corrupt according to         |
| http://www.freespeech.org/ljk/purity.html     |
Men are only as good as their technical development allows
them to be.
	-- George Orwell

perl -e '$$=\${gozer};{$_=unpack(P26,pack(L,$$));/^Just Another Perl Hacker!\n$/&&print||$$++&&redo}'