httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: [mod_proxy] Help offered
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 02:25:25 GMT
On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 04:13:31PM -0800, Sander van Zoest wrote:
> Although it should considered, I think the power of an apache proxy server
> would be the fact that it could do both of these tasks. I would consider
> a proxy type of project to be more along the lines of what Dean Gaudet has
> been refering to as an "http router". Everyone is doing this one way or
> another and this is also part of squid now (with their accelerated support).

Woah! Squid now has reverse proxy support?

Feh. If that's so, then there is even more reason to move the proxy out of
the core and into a separate CVS repository for independent development. If
something is unmaintained *and* duplicates the functionality of other, free
software projects out there, then why should it be in the core? I'm fine
with competing open source projects, but we aren't competing with our proxy:
we're just letting a bunch of code be subject to horrible bit rot and
misleading people who think we have a proxy.

> If some people add a reliable cache that talks HTCP and ICP and whatever they
> feel is useful that would be a bonus. Having access via different languages to
> the proxy/router stream can be very beneficial as well.

All of that stuff is worthwhile, and would make great sense to develop
within a separate CVS module with different sets of committers and
interested parties. Tying the proxy releases in with the Apache core release
will simply ensure that rapid development of a full-on proxy is going to be
very painful.

Cheers,
-g

--