httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Release Strategy
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2001 12:56:43 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> The only place that "alpha", "beta", "gold", etc., would appear is in
> the name of the tarball file and the description on our site.
> It cannot appear anywhere in the source code.  I do not want it to
> appear in the Server version string, since that requires changing
> the tarball after testing.

I don't think that's wise at all... The "quality" or "level" of the
build is just as important as the version number. Having an alpha
or beta quality code "look" like a release in the one area most
seen by the outside world (the Server version string) is just
shortsited IMO and just asking for trouble and confusion.