httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Wilfredo Sánchez <wsanc...@MIT.EDU>
Subject Re: Where to install httpd?
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2001 01:10:22 GMT

On Monday, February 5, 2001, at 02:51  PM, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> Henri has pointed out to me that Apache 1.3 installs httpd in /usr/sbin
> on
> RedHat, and apxs and apachectl use $prefix/bin for Apache 2.0.  The 2.0
> Makefile does install into $bindir, so at the very least, I would expect
> that we want to modify apxs and apachectl to use $bindir.  Should I
> change
> everything to $sbindir?

   By BSD convention (and I assume on Linux it's not too far off), sbin
means binaries that are in a non-root user's path because they generally
don't (sometimes can't) use them as non-root.  httpd falls roughly into
that camp, but apxs, like other developer tools, should be in $bindir,
not $sbindir (which isn't the case in 1.3, but I think it should be).
apachectl should live in $sbindir with httpd, unless we expect that user
will use apachectl and not invoke httpd directly, in which case httpd
arguably belongs in $libexecdir, though we seem to have hijacked that
location for modules.

	-Fred