httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Release Strategy
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2001 14:47:04 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> This is fine, but again, how do we get the server string to be correct
> then?  That is the one piece I am missing.  We can't generate that string
> as a part of the tag process, and leave it out of CVS, because then you
> can't just checkout a version of CVS and get the alpha, beta, GA
> version.  We can't change the value when tagging/rolling, because we won't
> know what to change it to.

Hmmm... Well, one thing for sure is that "releases" come with
configure, whereas betas and alphas don't. This implies something
in the buildconf process. The way PHP does it, IIRC, is to create
a sep file called php_version.h at ./buildconf (set in configure.in)
time, which is then used as the "version" string. Still, that doesn't
close the loop...