httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: httpd-2.0: ./configure --shadow? --with-apr=/path/to/apr?
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2001 06:29:12 GMT
On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 10:19:18PM -0800, Sander van Zoest wrote:
> Is there a way in 2.0 to build apache from outside the tree? So let's say
> you have the source on a RO fs, such as a CD-ROM. Is there a way to compile
> onto the disk or am I forced to copy all the source files on the a RW
> surface?
>
> The Apache 1.3 way to handle this was to use the --shadow flag on configure
> which was very useful, is there any such thing in 2.0?

Yup. Standard --srcdir=/your/cdrom/path switch to configure.

> Also a --with-apr=/path/to/apr would be a nice addition. I could code them
> up if these options don't exist yet.

That isn't going to work so well. We have a lot of pieces that assume apr
and aprutil is located at srclib/apr/. The hardest to deal with is that
configure.in includes stuff from apr. That means you have a catch-22 with
passing /path/to/apr to configure since you can't create configure without
that path. :-)

For the moment, I believe APR can/should remain at a fixed location. As we
get our configure process cleaned up, then moving it may become a bit easier
(read: easier to figure out :-)

Cheers,
-g

--