httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Release Strategy
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2001 04:49:35 GMT
On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 07:16:17PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> As I said, the name was probably wrong.  I do see a reason to re-tag as
> well.  The re-tag is done after updating ap_release.h.  If we don't re-tag
> after we update ap_release.h, then it will not be possible to easily
> checkout a server that has the correct server version string.  This is
> also why I want to use the date for the tag from now on, I believe the
> date gives more information than just a new number.

Need to ask Roy on this one. I'm a bit confused about his idea here.

I could see us building 2.0.5 and feeding it into the chain. Then we build
2.0.6. Then somebody declares that 2.0.5 can be used as a beta (i.e. we
don't stop the testing and restart with 2.0.6). In that case, we'd need to
branch ap_release to include any change, if it was kept in source control.
The branch would then pick up the new tag.

Note that the difference between TAG_x_y_z and TAG_BETA_n is only that one
file. Feels a bit weird :-)

Alternatively, ap_release.h could be generated at tag/roll or release time
(thus, not kept in source control).

Cheers,
-g

--