httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: SSL support
Date Sun, 04 Feb 2001 22:31:11 GMT
On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 01:51:04PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> Yeah, but not really.  What we are really saying here is that input
> filters in general have two modes, read one line and read a big chunk.  It
> is a bit bogus, but that is just how it has to work.  The fact that
> ap_http_filter is next is also not exactly true, we just know that
> ap_http_filter is later in the chain, so it controls how much data we get
> back.  It is more a bad comment than a bad design.

I think it's a bad design :-) ... but am not ready to spend the time on it
to suggest an alternative. IMO, the input filters should always read chunks
of data. The upper filters can massage that into lines, if that is what is
needed.

But there is also the caveat of HTTP being line-oriented and not wanting to
read too far (past the newline). So yes, I recognize that is the cause of
the current design, but I still don't have to like it :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/