httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: interim release strategy
Date Sat, 03 Feb 2001 01:42:38 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> The only time everyone aims at the same thing is when they are being
> employed to do so or when they have joined a cult.

I always thought we *were* a cult :)

> A code freeze doesn't mean "no new features" -- it means no changes
> aside from those applied by the RM.  And if it were a useful tool, our
> current release process wouldn't suck.

No, the current process sucks because it's only when there's
a "release date" set, do we see the large influx of "could
you hold off, I'm just working on this." I tend to believe
that having a date, tends to spur production, as people
think to themselves I better get off my duff and commit
this before it goes out. It's because of *this* that
code freeze doesn't work as well as it should. (no,
not totally, but a large reason).
> The only thing that a code freeze accomplishes in the way of stability is
> to prevent anyone but the RM from working on the code.  Yes, it is
> somewhat more stable, but at too great a cost.  I'd rather take
> the shotgun approach and determine stability after the fact.

Nope, recent experiences have shown that stuff added "at the
last minute" tends to be things that we need to fix again.
By making better use of tags, this would be *greatly*
reduced, but there is too much mix of tag and release
"versions" to allow us to use CVS as we should.

   Jim Jagielski   [|]   [|]