httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: 1.3.18 is tagged and rolled, ready for testing
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:51:21 GMT
From: "Jim Jagielski" <jim@jaguNET.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 2:48 PM


> James A. Sutherland wrote:
> > 
> > On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > 
> > > Do we think this warrants another tag and roll? Recall that it
> > > implies a bump up to 1.3.19...
> > 
> > It's only a warning, not an error: unless there is really a bug there, I
> > don't think it matters. As long as .18 works as-is (and it seems to for
> > me, at least) I'd just fix it in CVS for .19.
> > 
> 
> yes, part of the feedback is whether this is an ignorable error...
> I'm not sure it is...

I'll second either Greg or you deciding to fix, dump, bump and roll.  I looked
at this problem early today, and my first gut instinct was an ap_pstrdup before
we muck with it.  It clearly could be lethal, but I can't see a specific example
to hold up and say "We Broke This ."  Perhaps noone but the mod_perl or mod_python
folks could be bit, but that doesn't matter - if someone will be bit - let's just
chuck it.

BTW - if anyone wants to test the win32 installer on a machine with no IP config'd,
for giggles, let me/us know how it tests out.

I've also definately confirmed that we have a win32 shutdown problem on Win2000.
This has now been noted by not only the mod_perl folks, but now mod_jserv and php.

I'm investigating the problem, it's definately very tangled, but I could have a
fix within a day or three.  Just got running on mod_perl and stripped out the hack
around the problem to reproduce the bug.  No quick/simple answer, but I"m fighting
on it.

If the attitude prevails that "We don't want to frequently release fixes", then I
would ask the list to dump 1.3.18, fix the const char* hostname tinkering, hold off
till the end of this week for the Win32 Shutdown bugfix, and then let's roll 1.3.19.
If we can live with rolling a release when it's called for (and not waiting near 8
months), then I'm perfectly happy fixing the shutdown bug this week, with 1.3.19
already rolling for the door, and wait on a 1.3.20 release next month.

Back to the debugging console...

Bill



Mime
View raw message