httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Regarding 1.3.19...
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2001 17:28:10 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dietz, Phil E." <PEDietz@West.com>
To: <new-httpd@apache.org>
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 11:02 AM
Subject: RE: Regarding 1.3.19...

> I have a simple patch that allows Admins to control if the default_handler
> should make ETags with the inode or not.
>
> The patch allows client-side image-caching (aka server gives 304s) to take
> place if the web farm has > 1 unit.
>
> As you know, since rsync'ed files never share the same inode, ETags are
> always different for each round robin requests to a web farm.
> (and since the ETag is different, 304s are not sent out).

What level do you intend to control this at?  If you look at the change that
was made to mod_autoindex - we applied a new IndexOptions directive to accomplish
this.  Now directory filesystem issues are far more tangled than file tag issues,
but there are non-supporting platforms and some volume mounts apparently don't
carry good inode data.

I'm strongly +1 for this change - but I'd really, really like to discuss what
directive or level you would choose to control this.

Apache is no longer available by ftp, only at http://httpd.apache.org/dist/