httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/include apr.hw
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2001 18:00:17 GMT

> rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> >
> > This is not the model being used currently.  This is in fact the
> > model I am asking for.  What is currently being proposed however,
> > is no code freezes, ever.
>
> I am with Roy on that; code freezes have never worked well for us
> (probably because the RM has no authority), and they have
> been nothing but PITAs.

I generally agree but an exception should be made for the first (few?) Apache
2.0 beta release.

We are looking to get as much feedback from our early beta releases as
possible. If we release a beta that only compiles on, say, OS390, what have we
accomplished? Oh, you want to make sure Apache on Linux/FreeBSD builds before
you do the beta? Well isn't that effectively a freeze :-) ?   That is why I
advocated a small freeze window (I recommended two days, could be a little as
12 hours) that is fixed and non-negotiable.

Bill