httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: over-aggressive redirection in mod_dir
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:24:11 GMT
From: "Rodent of Unusual Size" <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com>
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2001 2:13 PM

> Bill Stoddard wrote:
> >
> > > Bah.  I say follow the RFC.  Apache is a reference implementation
> > > of HTTP, and should do so in any event.
> >
> > And what do you do when a paying customer says 'hey, this function
> > that 1000's of my customers depend on that used to work is now
> > broken'?
>
> Apache *has* no 'paying customers.'
>
> > Decisions like this must always be made on a case-by-case basis.
>
> Sorry, I believe in doing the RIGHT thing, not the expedient one.
> 'Be strict in what you send, liberal in what you accept.'

Paying or not - who looks to be the bad guy - MS for doing the wrong thing,
or Apache for doing the right thing?

Can this be resolved with a bit of IfEnv / BrowserMatch magic and a small
config directive?

You can't argue we have never made accomodations for other horked up browsers.

Bill

pps. I lost my mail list feed this a.m. - about 4 hours worth - so if I appear
clueless, it's just because I am.