httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: over-aggressive redirection in mod_dir
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:14:48 GMT

> rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> >
> > Ummmm, This message is suggesting regressing function that once
> > worked. This message says, break WebFolders, but tell people how
> > to fix it, since we would finally be following the spec.  What
> > we have right now, is a bit broken, but it doesn't break WebFolders.
>
> So we are broken, and WebFolders are broken.  Brilliant solution,
> that, in which NO-one is doing it correctly.
>
> Bah.  I say follow the RFC.  Apache is a reference implementation
> of HTTP, and should do so in any event.
> --

And what do you do when a paying customer says 'hey, this function that 1000's
of my customers depend on that used to work is now broken'?  Tell them to look
at the RFC?  Decisions like this must always be made on a case-by-case basis.
This one seems to be a case that we can accomodate with minimal impact on
anything else.

Bill