httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server/mpm/winnt mpm.h mpm_default.h mpm_winnt.c mpm_winnt.h
Date Sat, 03 Feb 2001 13:27:33 GMT

> > I may not be looking far enough ahead for this, but it seems
> > to me that the abstraction should be at a higher level. That
> > is setup_shared_mem() should "do the right thing."
>
> Yes, that is the intent (if I follow you).  setup_shared() should, based on the OS, implement
the
> most efficient shared scoreboard, whether it be a shared memory segment, a file or whatever.

After coffee, it just occured to me that maybe you are questioning the need for the additional
parameter on ap_create_scoreboard to control whether the socreboard is shared among processes
or
not?  The decision to make the scoreboard shared or not should be totally a function of what
the MPM
requires, not the capabilities of the system. Today, Apache on Windows doesn't need a shared
scoreboard but Windows does support shared memory segments.

One of my next experimental Windows projects is to enable a thread in the parent process (listening
on its own port) to service a server-status request (or perhaps SNMP requests). When I do
that, the
Windows MPM will need a shared memory scoreboard. Make sense?

Bill