httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/filters mod_include.c
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2001 22:42:53 GMT
Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 08:45:13PM -0000, trawick@apache.org wrote:
> > trawick     01/01/04 12:45:12
> >
> >   Modified:    modules/filters mod_include.c
> >   Log:
> >   Get rid of some warnings on Tru64 and OS/390.  void * isn't compatible
> >   with function pointers.
>
> You're kidding.

Huh?

If by chance you mean that the sentence beginning with "void" is
factually incorrect according to published standards, I'd like to
know, as I'll contact the OS/390 compiler folks and see what they can
do.  (I'll punt on Tru64 as I don't know how issues like this are
handled.)

> Is there some kind of compiler switch to set to fix that? I'd rather see a
> switch than these monkey casts.

I tried the accept-line-noise switch on OS/390 but it didn't make it
happier.  I dunno about Tru64.

I don't see what the big deal is.  This is a C language issue.  I'm
tickled pink that gcc doesn't care about that detail, but three of the
four independently-produced compilers I can lay my hands on at the
moment think that void * is not compatible with a function pointer.  I
suspect that there are more.

gcc                    doesn't care (at least with our normal flag)
OS/390 IBM compiler    does care (no flag will fix it)
Tru64 Compaq compiler  does care (I don't know about available flags)
MS VCC++ 5.0           does care (only if /Za is specified)

Cheers...
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...