httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Flame bait: Apache-2.0 on Unix is almost unusable.
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:39:15 GMT
Correction to subject: As of last night, CVS httpd-2.0 is unbuildable,
never mind unusable :-)

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Martin Kraemer wrote:

> A bit frustrating it is to me that so much time has been spent on
> Apache 2.0, rearranging, writing, discussing, patching to and fro,
> but the basic and most important problems have not been addressed
> in quite a while. To me, that code is definitely NOT Beta quality.

Agreed.

(snip)
> a) fatal protocol errors, leading to the browser hanging and waiting
>    forever.
> b) extra header output, leading to a garbled "It works" page which shows
>    everyone at the first glance that this is ALPHA code.

Alpha code? From the output, it sometimes looks like Alpha code running on
x86! :-)

(snip report about duplicated headers, which I've also mentioned before)

Yep; I've seen two (DIFFERENT) headers at once, too; one 200 OK, followed
by the whole set of headers, then another 200 OK, and SOME of those
headers again - WTF?!

(snip)

Right now, 2.0 doesn't look ready for an alpha, let alone a beta. Is
anyone looking at the broken header problem yet???

James.