httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <>
Subject Re: Both ap_r* patches.
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:54:13 GMT
On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 wrote:

> > > Wait for a few days, the changes we've kicked around will go in today, and
> > > once I tie those into the core, we get down to a single stat of index.html,
> > > and then we can open the file by cloning that stat handle.  Should be the
> > > smoothest dang thing you ever did see :-)
> >
> > Sounds good, but how can it help autoindex?  autoindex kicks in when
> > there is no index.html (or no mod_dir possibly, or the server is broken
> > :-)
> The problem with the stat, is that on Windows, those are incredibly
> expensive.  By changing the stat API to only get what is required, we will
> vastly speed up the requests on Windows.

Under NTFS, the timestamps, filename(s) and sizes (the stuff you see when
you "dir") are stored in the directory record, as well as the directory
record. A full-blown stat() will retrieve stuff stored in the individual
file records, meaning lots of extra MFT (Master File Table) accesses; just
retrieving the stuff "cached" in the parent directory's record will avoid

(Anyone benchmarked FAT[32] vs NTFS for this kind of thing, BTW?)

View raw message