httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject Re: Flame bait: Apache-2.0 on Unix is almost unusable.
Date Fri, 26 Jan 2001 15:43:21 GMT
> Since (I believe) we were on a 2.2 kernel at the time, and an
> up-to-date glibc (for that time), I would prefer if Apache
> didn't just assume that everybody has upgraded.

    If they did not upgrade, they are subject to many remote
    attacks.  Those attacks can at least crash the whole system,
    possibly allowing the attacker to take over the system.  I
    think we should encourage people to use more recent software,
    instead of continuing to support dangerous releases.  If
    Apache 2.0 is installed on such a system and that system is
    broken into, it might as well generate bad PR for Apache
    (this happened recently to thttpd where compatibility was
    rated higher than security).

    - Sascha