httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <>
Subject API changes (was Re: Beta.)
Date Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:56:56 GMT
On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> > does feature freeze mean no API changes to fix the problems i pointed out
> > with code that uses rprintf/rputs?  i'd be -1 on beta in that case.
> I agree.  I am +1 on a feature freeze. Fixing problems with the API
> (regardless of how much code is impacted) is okay.

ok, please indicate in the beta announcement that the API is *not* frozen
and that module authors may want to wait, or be prepared to accomodate API

btw, there's some other API changes which should probably happen in terms
of cleanup.  here's a few from that old mess, server/util.c:

ap_chdir_file() is not portable across MPMs because CWD is a per-process
thing, not a threaded thing.  the function should be eliminated.
mod_include is the main thing impacted by this.

ap_escape_shell_cmd() should probably be in APR rather than httpd.

initgroups() should be in APR ... maybe, dunno.  does 2.0 even work on
unixes which don't have initgroups(3)?

ap_uname2id(), ap_gname2id() ... more unixisms.

View raw message