httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Bucket/brigade re-use pool.
Date Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:47:24 GMT
On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Paul J. Reder wrote:
>
> > The previously discussed re-use pool for buckets/brigades was the next thing
> > that I was going to work on (before the code freeze came up). Does this count
> > as frozen development, or is this something I can work on?
>
> We are in code freeze.  This is not a bug, it is an optimization.  Feel
> free to work on it, but it will not be committed until after the
> beta.  This patch takes a real chance of de-stabilizing the server, which
> is what we are trying to avoid.  The goal here is to get the server to the
> point that we can get to beta.

performance problems *are* bugs.  the server *is* destablised right now,
it chews lots of memory, it's slow, it generates crap small packets on the
wire, there's no guarantee that it'll even match 1.3 performance.  (and
that's pretty pathetic considering how poor 1.3's performance is.)

it really irks me to see optimisation relegated to the final days in the
hopes that nothing was screwed up so seriously that a performance wiz
can't figure out some way around it without changing the API.

-dean