httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/filters mod_include.c
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2001 14:49:39 GMT
> I thought that void* was compatible with all pointers (including func ptrs).
> Dean posted a reply a bit ago that says otherwise (according to the specs,
> and a couple demo cases he gave).

    Annex I of C99 specifies a Common Warning in the case that
    "An implicit narrowing conversion is encountered, such as the
    assignment of [..] a pointer to void to a pointer to any type
    other than a character type."  As OS/390 and Tru64 yield a
    warning only, they seem to follow that recommendation.

    Section 6.3.2.3 of C99 basically allows a conversion from a
    pointer to void from/to a pointer to any object type.

    Note that I'm not sure whether "object type" in this
    particular context also refers to types describing a function
    (6.2.5 designates "function type" for that purpose).

    - Sascha