httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: http://dev.apache.org/devnotes
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:07:45 GMT
On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> Brian, please add Dean to the APR group.

> > > No, because the last time we used modules to do stuff like this, we had
> > > all sorts of headaches
> >
> > huh, such as?
>
> Try checking out apache-1.3 and then httpd-docs-1.3.  The httpd-docs-1.3
> checkout should be horribly broken.

no, apache-1.3 is horribly broken, httpd-docs-1.3 looks to be fine.

% cvs -d dev.apache.org:/home/cvs checkout apache-1.3
cvs server: existing repository /home/cvs/apache-1.3/htdocs does not match /home/cvs/httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs
cvs server: ignoring module htdocs-1.3
% cvs -d dev.apache.org:/home/cvs checkout httpd-docs-1.3
... no error
%

that's because you guys left the /home/cvs/apache-1.3/htdocs directory.

assuming you guys copied all the RCS files from apache-1.3/htdocs to
httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs to preserve history then you can just delete
apache-1.3/htdocs.

and the best option would have been to leave the htdocs directory right
where it was, and make httpd-docs-1.3 a subdirectory of apache-1.3. which
would have let all developers with existing checked out trees continue to
function with zero knowledge of the change, and zero extra work.  (this is
obviously what i would have preferred, considering i already had a tree
with changes checked out... instead i just gave up on the changes because
i ran out of time trying to figure out wtf was wrong.)

> The reason is simple.  APR is a brand new project, and a good number of
> the Apache developers have never committed code to APR, and have never
> expressed interest in touching it.  When we created APR, I didn't want to
> weight APR too heavily with httpd developers, because it shouldn't be just
> an httpd thing.

the problem for me is that i now only contribute every N months when i get
an afternoon that i'm otherwise not doing much on, and every N months i
have to see what you guys have changed with just the source control
(nevermind the code itself, that part i find way easier to grok changes to
once i figure out how to get it).  once i get through that part my spare
time has run out.  this is just the first time i'm complaining, 'cause i
actually ran into this frustration a few months ago as well and just gave
up that time.  net progress:  0 contribution.

call me a whiner if you want, but reorganisations generally suck ass, and
for the most part, it's been reorganisations (of cvs, of directories, of
names, ...) which have deterred me from being interested in continuing
contribution to apache.

maybe if the anon-CVS thing just works from here on out to infinity i'll
just try that next time.  (as you can see i tried the old unprivileged
developer access -- /from-cvs/... but obviously that too needed
reorganisation!)

really sure you missed me eh? :)

-dean