httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: application level accept() filter for 1.3.x
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2001 17:29:38 GMT
i didn't read your patch i was just commenting on your comment that linux
didn't have accept filtering :)

an HTTP session goes like this:

client -> server:  SYN
server -> client:  SYN|ACK
client -> server:  SYN|ACK
   accept() succeeds here
client -> server:  data
   read() succeeds here

with the TCP_DEFER_ACCEPT and the "dataready" kernel filters, the
accept() is deferred until after that 4th packet is received.  as far
as i understand your patch, it defers passing the accepted socket to a
heavyweight httpd child until that 4th packet appears as well.

when i referred to "first packet" i actually meant that 4th packet... the
first packet of actual data transfer.  the first 3 are handshakes you
can't do much about.  (TTCP which lets data go in the first packet is not
secure / not useable on an open network.)

-dean