httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: AP_MIN_SENDFILE_BYTES
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2001 23:09:30 GMT

> The patch get around this nicely, however at a steep price on Apache for
> Windows.  We take a 50% performance hit when serving files smaller than
> AP_MIN_SENDFILE_BYTES because we cannot use apr_sendfile() and reuse the
> accept socket.  I would like to consider alternate solutions such as:
>
> 1. back this patch out entirely and suffer the small packets on the network
> for the cases above (which are not that common).

It is common.  Take a look at what the Adobe browser plug-in
requests.  The last time I looked this made a lot of overlapping range
requests.

> 2. Ryan suggests tuning AP_MIN_SENDFILE_BYTES. To what?  500 bytes? The number
> needs to be much smaller than 8192 where it is set now. Thoughts?

As I said when I committed the change, we need to run tests, and tune the
number accordingly.  I guessed at 8192, it is likely wrong, and I said
that when I committed.  I haven't had the time to run any tests.  Feel
free to run your own.  If nobody runs them, I will run the tests in a few
weeks, after we go beta.  Arguing over the correct value without running
tests doesn't really do us any good.  Let's run the tests, and use real
numbers to get the answers.

> 3. Bypassing this optimizationonly for byterange requests (or perhaps multiple
> byterange requests)

Again, let's get some numbers, and speak with real numbers and real
performance.  I really believe this patch is required, we just need to get
the cut-off right.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131