httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: beta?
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:15:22 GMT

> > > The question is, what "protocol" to use? Just sending a struct describing
> > > what's going on is one option; have each process send to a socket
> > > (UDP??) with the monitoring module/process running on?
> >
> > This is solution that works.
> >
> > However, I also miss still a protocol field in the
> > server_rec. If Apache can support multiple protocol
> > via protocol modules it is my opinion that each
> > server ('server_rec') needs to know which protocol
> > it serves.
>
> ?? So how come mod_echo works without one of these?

We don't need it, and in fact it would be very difficult to get it
right.  Which protocols do we support?  What happens when a new protocol
is added?  I believe this field will end up being a major headache without
a major gain.  The mod_status stuff will most likely want this field, but
that is strictly for reporting, not for anything else.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131