httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/file_io/win32 filestat.c dir.c
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:42:29 GMT

I believe what Will was saying, is that APR is doing things right, but
Apache is using the tools wrong.  APR allows Apache to specify that it
doesn't need security information about a file, but we don't currently use
that option.  This isn't an APR bug, this is an Apache problem.

> > > We also need to handle canonicalization of the filename w/o calling
> apr_stat
> > > multiple times per request.
> >
> > Yes, yes, yes.  Why no canonical function yet in APR?  It was the wrong
> > design.  Apache will be stating each component -as needed-, as part of
> > the directory walk,
>
> What does "as needed" mean for Windows in your opinion?  I would suggest that
> one stat is all we can afford per request. And no stats if the file we are
> serving is cached.
>
> I am not sure exactly what you have in mind so I'll just be blunt now in order
> to avoid a misunderstanding and lots of wasted communication in the future...
> I will veto any design or implementation that -requires- the server to perform
> more than one stat call per request (unless it is to support special function
> like .htaccess files, etc.).

I really hope you mean one stat per file, per request.  When doing a
directory walk, we will need to stat each component.  There is no way
around that.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131