httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Error 416: Requested range not satisfiable
Date Sun, 28 Jan 2001 00:04:22 GMT

Good ananlysis.  The byterange support in 2.0 is brand new (like it was
fixed last week).  It needs a lot more testing like this.  The break-down
you provide below gives us a very good place to start testing it in more
detail.  The biggest problem so far has been one of time more than
anything else.

Ryan

> So it seems that Apache should't response a 416 for a 5-4 range, but
> simply return the file ignoring the Range request.
>
> 416 should be returned for a 99999999999- range for example, where the
>
> In conclusion:
>
> Range:	Type:		Should:		Apache 2.0 Returns:
> 5-4	Invalid		ignore ranges,	conection close
> 			return file
> 99999-	file not so big	416 error	ignores ranges, return file
> foo	Invalid		ignore ranges,	ignores ranges, return file
> 			return file	(well done)
> -99999	file not so big	return partial	ignores ranges, return file
> 			content
> In this last case, as the ranges overlap zones of the file it should be
> considered as good request, and return a Content-Range: bytes
> 0-foo/(foo+1). Apache simple takes it as an invalid request, as the
> 999999-
>
> -50-100-10	I'm not sure. IIS takes it as invalid. Apache takes
> 		the first number "-50" and returns Partial Content.
>
> --
>      \|||||||/    Guillermo Pérez Pérez
>      < o   o >      - bisho@onirica.com
>       \  L  /       - bisho@eurielec.etsit.upm.es
>  -oOOo-------oOOo-
>  Onírica: Análisis, diseño e implantación de soluciones informáticas
>           http://www.onirica.com

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131