httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: beta?
Date Sat, 27 Jan 2001 18:22:50 GMT

> > Remember that 99% of the changes that have been committed in the last two
> > weeks, were changes to make the server ready for beta.  We are essentially
> > in feature freeze, so unless a feature is necessary, for performance, or
> > protocol correctness, or just so that people can actually write handlers
> > and filters, the code should not be committed.
>
> that is no feature freeze :)  many if not most features fit that
> description in some way or another
>
> I just think that deferring new features, however useful, until after
> b1 will move us more quickly towards the point where more people will
> use apache 2.0 and we will begin finding the sorts of problems which
> we can't find ourselves.

I understand that, but remember, that these features, and things that
people said we couldn't go beta without.  Dean and Bill said we couldn't
go beta with the ap_r* performance we had.  We absolutely can't go beta
with seg faults whenever we make byterange requests.  I would prefer if we
didn't go beta if people can't write useful modules.

I agree there are minimal things that don't fit into those categories, but
I still think those are the things we want to allow in while we move
towards beta.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131