httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Flame bait: Apache-2.0 on Unix is almost unusable.
Date Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:27:53 GMT

> > > c) Intolerable behavior when trying to stop or restart the server to
> > >    have it reread its configuration files.
> >
> > you aren't sending signals to a threaded server which interfere with
> > the thread package on Linux, are you?
>
>     Just to clear up some confusion:  There are no standard
>     signals which interfere with the Linuxthreads package, if you
>     are running a kernel which was released during the last two
>     years (that is Linux 2.2 and later) and if you are using a C
>     library released during the last three years.

In February of 99, this bug bit us, so we made the change.  Since (I
believe) we were on a 2.2 kernel at the time, and an up-to-date glibc (for
that time), I would prefer if Apache didn't just assume that everybody has
upgraded.

Also, there are other platforms that dislike mixing threads and signals.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131