httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: release method for 2.0
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:00:29 GMT

> I want to change the way we are numbering and producing releases.
> We got onto a wrong track after the 0.8 releases and have been
> constipated ever since.  I want to go back to producing a version
> every week or two (when the tree is not in mid-change) and decide
> after the fact what quality to assign it:
>
>    snap  --  just a CVS snapshot, may not compile
>    alpha --  packaged release that is believed to compile
>              but hasn't been tested under production conditions
>    beta  --  packaged release that is known to compile on at
>              least three platforms and believed to be ready
>              for production use
>
>    current:  public release of latest code
>    stable:   public release of best code
>
> What it requires is a change to the way we mark the version in the
> source (something I was going to do anyway), a scripted release
> process, and my time to do the RM stuff until we get it back to
> a consisent process.
>
> Are there any objections to me doing the above?

I have a concern, but it isn't an objection, it is a concern.  Roy, I
trust your judgement, but you have not been very active in the code, and
there have been multiple messages from you concerning how little time you
have.  I would much rather not have you as a limiting factor to get a
release done, especially since you are not intimatelyt familiar with the
code right now.  I would rather see a detailed outline, and the work can
then fall to anybody.

Just some thoughts.

Ryan

406 29th St.