httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/http http_core.c
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:40:10 GMT

> >   Modified:    modules/http http_core.c
> >   Log:
> >   Fix the core_output_filter.  It doesn't make any sense to send less than
> >   8K of a file using sendfile, it is easier to just read strings from the
> >   file and use those strings directly.
>
> Do we have any performance testing to back this up? Why would sendfile of
> less than 8k be slower than read-file/send-socket?
>
> I'd much rather see it remain simple and always use sendfile when a file is
> supplied.

No, I was seeing us use sendfile on 10 bytes of information from a file,
which is insane, because that is all we send, even if there is another 9K
file two buckets later.  I needed a number, and I planned to do testing to
ensure it is the current number.  I chose 8K, because it is logical and it
matches the point at which we do not convert a file to an MMAP.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131