httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: ap_r* performance patch
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:47:17 GMT

> > Yeah, but you were strictly testing a handler.  Try doing that with a
> > filter and Greg's patch.  The filter is registered as an
> > FTYPE_CONTENT + 1, so it MUST be at the very top of the filter stack, it
> > is not possible to insert it after a mod_perl filter.
>
> so this means i'd still have to use the modperl buffer thingy.
> and i would have to use it for connection-level filters (where there is no
> r or r->output_filters).  but with rbb.patch i can use apr_brigade_*
> anywhere.  ap_r* improvements are not useful to me if i can't throw away
> the current modperl buffer api.

Exactly!

> seems to me that:
> - rbb's design is more flexable/usable
> - both are very close performance wise
> - rbb's might require a call to ap_sync_output() or apr_brigade_flush()
>
> if i'm following correctly, the last is greg's major argument against
> rbb's, is this still true?  personally, i don't see the big deal with
> having to call a flush or sync function.  yeah, it might end up biting
> somebody, but that's not enough imho to sacrifice flexabilty.

So far you have it 99% correct.  The one thing that everybody keeps
leaving out, is that I have detailed how to avoid that ap_brigade_flush
99.9% of the time.  I personally disagree that is a good idea, but I am
willing to be persuaded.

> the more i think about it, the more i really like apr_brigade_*
> being usable outside of the request_rec and outside of httpd.  libapr is
> rad, i've used it to write 3 libraries so far that work outside of httpd,
> an http/s client, rewrite of cybersource's client library and a generic
> credit card clearing house api.  filtering in the http/s client would be
> useful and i could use apr_brigade_* instead of BIO_* in the cybersource
> client.

Does this mean that you are voting for my patch?

Just trying to get a tally.

So far I have:

greg's patch:    gstein, gregames
rbb's patch:     rbb, dougm?, jtrawick?

I am including Jeff because he said a few days ago he was leaning toward
my patch.  I have put a ? by his name, because he hasn't really voted yet,
so I am not really counting him.  That is more of a poke to get him to
respond.  Jeff????

Ryan
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131