httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 beta STATUS
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2001 05:39:09 GMT

> > Filtered (gstein) carries the risk it can be bumped from the filter stack
> > by some very mean spirited filter that is VERY_VERY_FIRST (unlikely), but
> > applies only to Apache 2.0, and appears stable.
>
> This is a mischaracterization. There is no risk. If somebody sneaks in
> front, then the server operates quite fine. Completely robust.

And back to being incredibly slow again.

> You also did not mention that my patch allows free mixing of ap_r* and
> ap_pass_brigade(). There is no possible way for output to be misordered.
> Ryan's patch does *not* have that feature, and I pointed that out a *long*
> time ago. That was the reason why I veto'd Victor's patch.

I actually showed how that feature could be acheived.  I just do not
believe that it is as big a deal as you do.

> Whose requirements? We're trying to fix Apache, not APR. And we're trying to
> provide a way for people to continue to use ap_r* without suffering a
> penalty. And we're trying to provide a way that they can transition to a
> better API for some of the critical parts.

I disagree with this.  If the functions don't work, they don't work.  A
fix in Apache doesn't help any other program that uses the bucket API.  If
we don't care about the other programs, then we really should remove the
brigades from the apr-util library, because nobody will use them with
their current performance.

Ryan
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131