httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 beta STATUS
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2001 05:06:59 GMT

> > > But now, we have doug's patch.  Without line-by-line pulling me out of my
> > > little filesystem world just now, would anyone care to comment on the
> > > merits of Doug's v.s. rbb's v.s. gstein's patches?  Maybe the six paragraph
> > > executive summary :-?
> >
> > Doug's patch is not complete, and it wasn't meant to be.
>
> Right.
>
> Doug's patch is a *third* output mechanism. It doesn't deal with ap_r*
> performance at all.

Exactly.  When Doug wrote his patch, he was concerned about mod_perl's
performance and the fact that mod_perl was creating a lot of very small
buckets.  He can use ap_r, assuming he is actually dealing with a handler,
but if he is writing a filter he can't.  This is one of my concerns with
the filter mechanism.  It doesn't deal with issues like mod_perl, so
mod_perl, mod_snake, php, etc, are all likely to have buffering code.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131