httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject ap_r patch performance comparison
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2001 05:32:00 GMT

I ran all tests once, and because the screen on my laptop flickered
(batter flickers occasionally) while running the first rbb2 test, I
decided to re-run that server just to see if it made a difference.  When
I saw more than double the performance, I re-ran Greg's patch and the 1.3
server.  I do not really consider the unpatched 2.0 server or my original
patch to be interesting enough to run them again.  I absolutely can not
figure out what happened.  Every condition I can see is the same in both
runs.  To ensure that this was not a fluke, I did re-run the tests a third
time for both of the 2.0 patches, and the results are just like the 2nd run,
so they aren't included here.

The tests themselves were run on my computer.  I started the server, and ran
ab on the same machine.  After each test, I stopped the server, and moved the
error log out of the way (That's another topic).  The ab command was always
the same:

	./ab -n 10000 -c 200 http://localhost:8080/

And, the results:   (strace's to be generated ASAP)

	Run		1			2
Server

1.3			115.96 req/sec		115.96 req/sec
			768.49 kb/sec		771.45 bb/sec

2.0 (unpatched)		35 req/sec		Not Done
			164.87 kb/sec

2.0 (greg)		90.16 req/sec		227.69 req/sec
			424.72 kb/sec		1083.38 kb/sec

2.0 (rbb)		89.71 req/sec
			420.65 kb/sec

2.0 (rbb2*)		93.00 req/sec		234.09 req/sec
			436.06 kb/sec		1106.45 kb/sec

*  The differences between rbb and rbb2 are relatively simple.  I wanted to
compare apples to apples, so I modified my patch to use AP_MIN_TO_WRITE as
size of the bucket buffer, and I used malloc with heap buckets instead of
palloc with pool buckets.

The difference between Greg's patch and mine is minimal when it comes to
the actual performance.  I want to examine the straces a bit, results will
be posted, but it really looks like this is going to come down to a matter
of personally preference.  Do we want a solution that works for all bucket
programs, or do we want one that allows programmers to use both ap_r and
direct bucket code.  More coming in the next half hour or so.  I am only
going to run strace's for the two patches, because we all know what the
current 2.0 looks like.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131