httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Beta.
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:59:32 GMT

I am sick of Apache 2.0.  That doesn't mean that I am ready to stop
working on it, I'm not.  I love this piece of software, and I am likely to
be working on Apache 2.0 for it's full life cycle.  It does mean that I am
ready to move from Apache 2.0 alpha to Apache 2.0 beta to Apache 2.0.

I believe that this means that we have to make a concerted effort to get
this release to a beta version soon.  I would like to ask that we go into
feature freeze now.  This means we will fix bugs, but that is it until we
hit beta.

Now, if after we hit beta, we want to add new features, that is a decision
we can make.  Personally, I don't believe we should.  The Apache group
entered a feature freeze before Apache 1.2 and 1.3.  This is obvious by
looking at the bug reports that were suspended with the message:  "We are
too far into this development cycle to add a new feature, we will
reconsider for X.X".

When I say fix bugs, by the way, I consider anything in the STATUS
file right now a bug.  I do not believe we should add everything to the
STATUS file tonight.  If it isn't already in the STATUS file, it isn't a
known bug.  We may find more bugs, but that is very different from saying
that there is a new feature we want to add, so it is now a bug.

Thoughts, comments?

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131