httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server/mpm/prefork prefork.c
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2001 14:30:13 GMT

> > > NO THEY CAN'T!!!! Like I keep saying, configure writes such crap C that
> > > turning on -Werror causes it to get totally the wrong picture.
> > >
> > > Actually, its just possible that "CFLAGS=-Werror ./configure
> > > --with-maintainer-mode" would work, but that would be purely by luck.
> > > I'd hate to rely on it. It certainly doens't if you switch on -Wall,
> > > too.
> > >

> > Ahhhh... I see. The place to plop -Werror into CFLAGS is at
> > the very *end* of the configure cycle, not at the start. Because
> > doing so at the start effects all the test compilations that
> > configure uses. Should be easy to do. Let me know.
>
> Finally! But what we need is a way to set _arbitrary_ flags at the end.
> And it needs to propagate to all the other configures
> (--with-maintainer-mode doesn't currently, but it would become redundant
> anyway).

Just a heads up, this is not going to be easy to do.  Apache uses a
special RUN_SUBDIR_NOW call that we wrote to run the subdir's ./configure
scripts early in the configuration.  We can easily add random flags to it,
but we will really need to work to get autoconf to ignore those
flags.  :-(

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131