httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: environment variable settings are bad
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:45:48 GMT

> >  Apache-2.0 has this feature
> >  already, if you run it with the environment variable NO_DETACH set.
> Claim: behaviours like this controlled by random environment
> variables are evil and are a symptom of the lack of a better way to
> pass this sort of info to the places that need it.
> Anyone agree or am I crazy?

The original plan had been, I believe, to use the -D command line argument
to Apache.  However, we don't actually set environment variables with the
-D stuff, so that doesn't work.  We could just check our own env table,
the one we set with -D, but if we are going to do that, then why didn't we
just stick with -X and use -N for no_detach?

I really haven't made up my mind about how I feel about using the env
vars.  I was just following the move from -X to ONE_PROCESS when I
implemented the NO_DETACH stuff.

Ryan Bloom
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131