httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: How to Handle Handlers and Order Hooks (and Other Matters)
Date Mon, 01 Jan 2001 15:47:11 GMT

> >  We also don't really use the standard hooks
> > mechanism for the filters at all, so this probably won't help much in that
> > respect.
>
> ?? What about the insert_filter hook? Ordering those would determine the
> order of filters, right?

That was the original idea, but it just doesn't work that way for the most
part.  The thing is, that most filters are content filters, and content
filters don't tend to be inserted by the module that implements them.  For
example, the INCLUDES filter.  If mod_include was going to insert itself
into the request chain, then mod_include would need to have a config
directive that to specify when it is should be inserted into the filter
chain.  Of course, if that happens, then EVERY module would need to same
general logic.

The insert_filter hook works great for connection filters, but content
filters tend to need to be specified in the config file, so the hooks
stuff just doesn't work.  What we need is a much more powerful version of
AddOutputFilter.  What I have designed (but not implemented, maybe later
today), is something like:

DefineFilterStack  Include_stack  INCLUDES CACHE

SetFilter Include_stack .html .htm
AddFilter Include_stack text/html

Basically, we define a bunch of filter chains, and then just specify the
correct filter chain for each file/directory.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131