httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: windows build & handler hook
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2001 23:20:07 GMT
On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Ben Laurie wrote:

> rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> >
> > It looks like the API is going to change again soon to stop passing the
> > handler char * into the function.  Instead we would be using the
> > r->handler field.
>
> You can't step on that field without possibly unforeseen consequences.
> Or maybe you can :-)

r->handler is only stepped on if it is NULL

> Anyway, the defacto meaning for that field is that it is set by
> {Add,Set}Handler, so setting it for this may be a mistake. I'm +1 on a
> reasoned argument that says its OK to do this, or, failing that, a new
> field.

i think the defacto meaning is that the r->handler field is set by
something in the mime-type-ish phase (i say -ish because mod_rewrite sets
it in a fixup), it's scope is in no way limited to {Add,Set}Handler

r->handler is used to dispatch handlers, which is exactly what we're using
it for here.