httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: Language Negotiation: "No Acceptable Variant"
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2001 20:52:56 GMT
On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Koen Holtman wrote:
> Wait a minute: is the problem that these many people send, say
>
>  Accept-language: fr
>
> when they in fact speak en+fr and prefer en, or is the problem that their
> browsers do not send any accept-language at all?

The problem is people who send
  Accept-language: de
       or
  Accept-language: en-gb
when their "true" preferences are "de,en" or "en-gb,en".  Since the server
has no "de" or "en-gb" variant, they get the "No Acceptable Variant" page.

People sending no accept-language at all isn't a problem becuase, I
believe, the LanguagePriority directive will then do the necessary magic
and send the english page.  The problem is people who lie about their
language preferences becuase they don't understand how to configure their
browsers.

I was willing to just ignore such people and hope they fix their
configuration, but the problem seems to be more widespread than I
expected.

Joshua.