httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Fabien COELHO <coe...@cri.ensmp.fr>
Subject Re: mod_macro inclusion in apache 2.0
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:51:17 GMT

Hello,

> Its been said before, but I'll say it again: there are many tools that
> allow you to do this independently of Apache, e.g. sed, m4, awk, perl -
> why invent another inside Apache?

You forgot cpp;-)

 - sed is line oriented.
   I cannot see how you can use it simply to manage macros.

 - perl and awk are programming languages, not configuration tools.
   I'm not playing on words. I don't see why I should have to
   program perl stuff as a help to apache configuration.

 - preprocessors like cpp/m4 need assumptions about the lexical structure
   of the file being processed. cpp cannot be used (you cannot have
   multi line macros with cpp). The m4 escape mecanism is quite unusual
   with ` ' sections, and the syntax and approach is quite far from
   apache configuration files, and you need to master them.

As I outlined in the message, integration allows a clean interface for
reporting syntax errors when macros are involved. Also it allows people
not to fix the same problem over and over on their own as the problem is
solved once for the community in a portable way.

> If you really want to do something Apache-specific for this, I'd
> suggest a really nifty perl module, though it is totally unclear to me
> what you are offering over trivial substitution.

Yes, the module offers trivial simple basic substitution.

I don't see that as a problem;-)

If you want to keep with your logic, you can simplify apache configuration
by dropping <IfModule and other <IfDefine as the same stuff can be done
with perl/awk/sed/m4/cpp. Also Include looks pretty useless, as
perl/sed/m4/cpp/python does it perfectly.

--
Fabien Coelho ___ coelho@cri.ensmp.fr ___ http://www.cri.ensmp.fr/~coelho