httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Koen Holtman <k...@hep.caltech.edu>
Subject Re: Language Negotiation: "No Acceptable Variant"
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 02:26:43 GMT

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, James Sutherland wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Koen Holtman wrote:
> > > Wait a minute: is the problem that these many people send, say
> > >
> > >  Accept-language: fr
> > >
> > > when they in fact speak en+fr and prefer en, or is the problem that their
> > > browsers do not send any accept-language at all?
> > >

> > The problem is people who send
> >   Accept-language: de
> >        or
> >   Accept-language: en-gb
> > when their "true" preferences are "de,en" or "en-gb,en".  Since the server
> > has no "de" or "en-gb" variant, they get the "No Acceptable Variant" page.

I recall that, in any case the last time I touched it, mod_negotiation had
a heuristic for the second case above: with Accept-language: en-gb,
mod_negotiation will assume that `en' is also still OK, so in that case
the user would get en. This heuristic is there to cope with the known bad
configuration system UI design of Netscape, which makes it natural to
configure `en-gb' when what you really want to say at the http level is
`en-gb,en;q=0.9'.

For the first case, yes I think the user will get a "No Acceptable
Variant" error in the current implementation.

Koen.