httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/conf highperformance-std.conf
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2001 19:43:58 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 06:29:38PM -0000, gregames@apache.org wrote:
> >   # Disable symlink protection and htaccess files, they chew far too much.
> >   <Directory />
> >       AllowOverride none
> >       Options FollowSymLinks
>
> Hmm. The comment and Options don't seem to match, or did I just brain-fart?

AllowOverride none means that the server doesn't look at htaccess
files.  That's pretty straight forward.

As far as symlinks, I think it's a negative logic kind of thing that
causes the confusion.  Here's my take: by default, when you don't
specify FollowSymLinks, you get "symlink protection", which chews
excessive CPU.  So you have to explicity enable FollowSymLinks to make
these cycles go away.

This bit is unchanged from 1.3...I trust dean.  Seems like I benchmarked
those statements a long time ago with good results - don't remember for
sure.

Greg