httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: [Patch]:Move SSI "exec" directive support from mod_include to mod_cgi(d).
Date Sat, 20 Jan 2001 14:29:45 GMT wrote:
> The second problem is a bit different.  One module implements a function
> that another module uses.  This is the problem we are talking about
> here.  In this case, mod_include implements ap_register_include_handler,
> and mod_cgi(d) needs to use this function.

Of course, one can bend generic hooks (that was a really stupid name
choice, btw) to do this: mod_cgi(d) creates a hook that mod_include
registers for. But this would be somewhat weird.

So, moving on, I presume that there's a desire to avoid using the
standard dl stuff to do this (i.e. dlsym()) - why? Shouldn't APR provide
a facility to call (or not, as the case may be) a dynamically loaded
function? Or is this something that tends to not be portable?

If so, then I'd propose we do something just like generic hooks, only
the "other way round" - mod_include declares
ap_register_include_handler(), registers it with the core, which allows
it to be called by name (or resolved by name) when present, and use the
same kind of casting trick I used for generic hooks to render it