httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server config.c
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2001 00:02:48 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > > Oh. Yeah, we should check that CC == gcc for that :)
> >
> > ?? For what?
>
> Ben, I have been trying to figure out what you have been saying, and I
> think I finally get it.  Sometimes the most obvious things are the hardest
> to spot.  :-)
>
> Are you saying that when autoconf generates C code to test for a given
> feature, it almost always fails when -Werror is used?

Correct!

> If so, that is completely bogus, and it is just one more reason that these
> projects aren't as good as they could/should be.  :-(
>
> Autoconf should just ignore EXTRA_CFLAGS however, so what went wrong when
> using EXTRA_CFLAGS to set -Werror?

It didn't ignore them! Either that, or I'm losing my mind... oh, look,
I'm not, but configure is:

ben@scuzzy:~/work/httpd-2.0$ EXTRA_CFLAGS="-Wall -Werror" ./configure
checking host system type... i386-unknown-freebsdelf3.2
checking target system type... i386-unknown-freebsdelf3.2
checking build system type... i386-unknown-freebsdelf3.2
Applying hints file rules for i386-unknown-freebsdelf3.2
Applying hints file rules for i386-unknown-freebsdelf3.2
checking for rm... (cached) /bin/rm
checking for mawk... (cached) awk
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  -Wall -Werror ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

Cheers,

Ben.

--