httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server/mpm/prefork prefork.c
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2001 22:31:02 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:

> > > Last I checked, it did.
> >
> > Apologies. I meant -Werror.
>
> Ouch...  I use --with-maintainer-mode with the regression builds.
> What this will mean for me is that once a warning is picked up (not a
> rare occurrence) in some code I won't be able to track warnings
> introduced in other code until the first is fixed.  Obviously we won't
> do any run-time tests either :)
>
> Beyond my regression builds, it means that Joe Blow (or Jeff Blow, as
> the case may be) who may not be the best person to fix warnings
> somebody just introduced has to dumb down the warning flags to get
> Apache to build and may inadvertently introduce even more suspicious
> code in the meantime.
>
> -1 on adding -Werror to the set of maintainer-mode flags
>
> Warnings get handled appropriately in relatively short order.
>
> People can always add -Werror manually ("CFLAGS=-Werror ./configure" I
> think) or save stderr (shudder).

NO THEY CAN'T!!!! Like I keep saying, configure writes such crap C that
turning on -Werror causes it to get totally the wrong picture.

Actually, its just possible that "CFLAGS=-Werror ./configure
--with-maintainer-mode" would work, but that would be purely by luck.
I'd hate to rely on it. It certainly doens't if you switch on -Wall,
too.

Cheers,

Ben.

--